By Valerie Bennis, President and Founder of Essence of Vali
Lack of sleep continues to be an issue for many people, including children. A good night’s rest is the foundation of health and well-being. More and more evidence point to lack of sleep as a contributor to declining physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health.
In honor of National Sleep month, we will bring to you some tips and tricks to help you sleep soundly throughout the month of March. We encourage you to join us in our Sleep Challenge where participants should aim to get 7-8 hours of sleep per night during the month of March. Think you are fine scraping by with 6 hours each night? Here’s a list of reasons you should challenge yourself to 7 or 8 hours.
- 1. Lack of sleep slows down your metabolism and can contribute to weight gain
- 2. Better concentration with proper amount of sleep
- 3. 7-8 hours of sleep helps your mood. You are more likely to be in a good mood with proper amount of sleep
- 4. You look better and our skin retains its youthful appearance
- 5. Your brain will function more efficiently and memory is improved
- 6. Longevity
- 7. Athletic performance improves with a rested body
- 8. Improved libido