By Christine Dailey
It doesn't get much better than a cold beer or a refreshing cocktail on a hot day. As soon as the sun comes out, your social calendar is booked with summer cookouts, pool parties and refreshments on the roof deck – and you don’t want to miss it! But, don’t let summer drinks pack on summer pounds. Here are some tips on how you can enjoy libations all summer long without ruining all the hard work you put in on the fitness floor.
According to Sports Club/LA – Chestnut Hill Dietitian Shelby Keys, alcohol inhibits the body from accessing its fat and carb stores. That means your body won’t burn fat or carbs for energy until it burns off all the alcohol. The result? Our blood sugar drops and we crave more fat and carbs. That’s why you might get the “drunk munchies.” Calories from alcohol take priority as fuel for your body over fat-stores and glycogen. This is because the by-product of alcohol metabolism, acetate, is toxic. So, when you drink, fat burning stops until you burn off those calories.
So, choose your beverages wisely and you’ll be fine.
- Long Island Iced Tea (up to 780 calories)
- Frozen Margarita (up to 700 calories)
- Mudslide (up to 600 calories)
- Mojito (about 170 calories)
- Sangria (about 140 calories)
- Vodka Soda (64 calories)
- Leinenkugel Berry Weiss (207 calories)
- Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (176 calories)
- Blue Moon Belgian White (171 calories)
- Stella Artois (154 calories)
- Magic Hat #9 (153 calories)
- Bud Light Lime (116 calories)
- Yuengling Light (99 calories)
- Amstel Light (95 calories)
- Michelob Ultra Amber (95 calories)
- Becks Light (64 calories)